What is the Crazyflie 2.1 programmable drone?
Crazyflie 2.1 is the latest version of Bitcraze’s programmable mini drone. Ultra-small and particularly light, this tetrapod drone carries a wide range of equipment enabling it to communicate with a mobile device, steer itself using a 3-axis IMU, increase its autonomy with an on-board battery, etc.
- The Crazyflie 2.1 UAV also has an expansion header allowing you to add lots of UART, I2C peripherals, etc. within the limits of its payload capacity.
- This flying robotics platform can be programmed using the Python API. It’s an open-source project, meaning you have access to all the resources provided by the Crazyflie’s community of developers.
- To increase its communication capabilities, this kit also includes a Crazyradio PA radio amplifier, which is a dongle that will amplify the signal to authorize a communication between the UAV and its controller, from a distance of up to 1 km.
Create autonomous flight conditions with the Flow deck sensor
This new pack also includes a Flow deck v2 sensor. This distance sensor module has two complementary components:
- A To F laser sensor allowing Crazyflie to calculate the distance between itself and the ground
- A PMW3901 optical sensor that can measure movements on the ground beneath it
This navigation module supplements the IMU already present on the Crazyflie mini drone. It also allows you to program the path the UAV must follow using the Python API.
Technical specifications of the Crazyflie Programmable UAV with flow deck sensor
- 1 Flow deck v2 sensor
- 1 Crazyflie 2.1 nano drone
- 1 Crazyradio PA amplifier
Flow deck v2 specifications:
- Range: up to 4 m
- Accuracy: to within a few millimeters (depending on surface and light conditions)
- PMW3901 optical sensor (works best on matt surfaces)
- Weight: 1.6 g
- Dimensions: 21 x 28 x 4 mm
- Designed for mounting under the Crazyflie 2.X UAV
Crazyflie 2.1 mini drone specifications:
- 2.4 GHz ISM band radio
- BLE support with iOS and Android clients available
- Dual antenna support: on-board chip antenna and U.FL connector
- STM32F405 microcontroller: Cortex-M4, 168 MHz, 192 KB SRAM, 1 MB Flash
- nRF51822 microcontroller (for radio antenna and power management): Cortex-M0, 32 MHz, 16 KB SRAM, 128 KB flash
- USB connector
- On-board LiPo charger with 3 available modes: 100 mA, 500 mA and 980 mA
- Full speed USB interface
- Partial USB OTG capability (no 5V output)
- EEPROM: 8 KB
- 3 axis BMI088 IMU: accelerometer and gyroscope
- BMP388 high precision pressure sensor
- Flight time with stock battery: 7 min.
- Charging time with stock battery: 40 min.
- Maximum recommended payload: 15 g
- Supported clients: Windows, Linux, Mac OSX (Python)
- Supported controllers: Xbox 360, PS3, any gamepad/controller with at least 4 analogue axes
- Supported devices: Android and iOS mobile devices
- Expansion connectors:
- VDC: 3V, max. 100 mA
- VCOM: Unregulated VBAT or VUSB, max. 1A
- VUSB: input and output
- I2C: 400 kHz
- 2 x UART
- 4 x GPIO/CS for SPI
- 1-wire bus for expansion identification
- 2 GPIOs connected to the nRF51 radio module
Crazyradio PA dongle specifications:
- Based on the Nordic nRF24LU1+ radio module
- 8051 microcontroller: 16 MHz, 32 KB flash, 2 KB SRAM
- 2.4 GHz ISM band radio
- USB device peripheral
- 125 radio channels
- Communication data rate: 2 Mbps, 1 Mbps and 250 Kbps
- Receives and sends data packets of up to 32 bytes payload
- Automatically handles addresses and packet ACK
- SPI and UART connectors
- Compatible with Enhanced Shock Burst protocol from Nordic Semiconductor
- Radio specifications: 20 dBm output power, 100 mW; low noise amplifier; RP-SMA connector
- Power supply: up to 13V via extension header
- 2x5 2.54 mm expansion header
- Hardware support for PPM input
- Standard USB-A connector