Darwin OP 2 Robotis: programmable open source robot
ROBOTIS OP2 (as known as “DARWIN 2” or DARWIN-OP2”) has been upgraded with greater computational performance compare to ROBOTIS OP (as known as “DARwIn-OP”). The major change comes from the upgrade in computational power. When ROBOTIS OP was first released it was stated that it supported Windows OS. This claim is, and remains, technically true. However, in practice installing Windows is impossible due to the 4GB cap of the embedded SSD from ROBOTIS OP’s PC.
The scant 4GB made difficult installing the later releases of Ubuntu and significant workaround was required to be able to install the later Linux releases. ROBOTIS OP2 upgrade is aimed at eliminating the difficulties relating to computing from the previous generation. You can now focus your efforts more into developing the robot and less on devoting resources for computing.
For full details of the Robotis Darwin OP 2, consult its product sheet on the official Robotis website HERE.
Dawrin OP and Darwin OP 2 by Robotis: differences
Here are some mechanical differences between robots Darwin OP and Darwin OP-2
- New mini HDMI port connector on the ROBOTIS OP2
- Location of the ports
- ROBOTIS OP2 no longer has the 3.5mm microphone and audio jacks
Advantages of ROBOTIS OP2 compared to ROBOTIS OP
- User-replaceable SSD
- User-replaceable RAM
- Significantly increased computation power
- Reduced size of the PC
- Reduced size of the management controller (CM-730 ⇨ CM-740)
Hardware Spec Comparison
- CPU Intel Atom Z530 @1.6GHz single core
- RAM 1GB DDR2 (fi xed capacity)
- Storage 4GB NAND flash IDE100 (fixed capacity)
- LAN speed 100 Mbps 1 Gbps
- Installable OS Linux only (32-bit)
- Wi-fi 802.11g
Darwin OP 2
- CPU Intel Atom N2600 @1.6GHz dual core
- RAM up to 4GB DDR3 / 204-pin SO-DIMM module (user-replaceable)
- Storage half-size mSATA module (32GB) (user-replaceable)
- LAN speed 1 Gbps
- Installable any Linux release (32-bit) / any Windows release (32-bit)
- Wi-fi 802.11n (2.4GHz-only)
ROBOTIS OP2 is an affordable, miniature-humanoid-robot platform with advanced computational power, sophisticated sensors, high payload capacity, and dynamic motion ability to enable many exciting research and education activities.
Darwin OP-2 Robotis: safety informations
ROBOTIS will not be responsible for any loss or damage whatsoever caused resulting from user’s negligence or misuse of the product.
- Read the instruction carefully before getting started.
- Not suitable for children under 15 years old.
- Do not use any other tools other than those provided in the kit.
- Keep the robot away from your face and body when the robot is operating.
- Prevent from getting your fingers stuck between frames.
- Do not place the robot near water, heat or fire.
- Only use the battery and charger included in the kit.
- Gears must be replaced after long excessive use.
Darwin OP-2 Robotis: in the box
- 1 Fully-assembled ROBOTIS OP2 robot 1
- 2 USB Thumb Drive (with recovery software) 1
- 3 Fuse 2
- 4 Color Cards 7
- 5 Quick Start Manual 1
- 6 Power Cable 1
- 7 DC Power Supply 1
- 8 Spare Cables 1 pack
- 9 Red Ball 1
- 10 Battery Pack 3
- 11 Battery Charger 1
- 12 Wrench & Screw Driver 1 set
- 13 Spare Bolts and Nuts 1 pack
- 14 Ethernet Cable 1
- 15 Hard Case 1